Who Am I?
* I am not the great “I am” (3:14; John 8:24, 28, 58), but by the grace of God, I am what I am (1 Corinthians 15:10).
* I am the salt of the earth (5:13).
* I am the light of the world (5:14).
* I am a child of God (1:12).
* I am part of the true vine, a channel of Christ’s life (15:1, 5).
* I am Christ’s friend (15:15).
* I am chosen and appointed by Christ to bear His fruit (15:16)
* I am a slave of righteousness (6:18).
* I am enslaved to God (6:22).
* I am a son of God; God is spiritually my Father (8:14, 15; Galatians 3:26; 4:6).
* I am a joint heir with Christ, sharing His inheritance with Him (8:17).
* I am a temple – a dwelling place – of God. His Spirit and His life dwell in me (3:16; 6:19).
* I am united to the Lord and am one spirit with Him (6:17).
* I am a member of Christ’s body (12:27; Ephesians 5:30).
* I am a new creation (5:17).
* I am reconciled to God and am a minister of reconciliation (5:18, 19).
* I am a son of God and one in Christ (3:26, 28).
* I am an heir of God since I am a son of God (4:6, 7).
* I am a saint (1:1; 1 Corinthians 1:2; Philippians 1:1; Colossians 1:2).
* I am God’s workmanship – His handiwork – born anew in Christ to do His work (2:10).
* I am a fellow citizen with the rest of God’s family (2:19).
* I am a prisoner of Christ (3:1; 4:1).
* I am righteous and holy (4:24).
* I am a citizen of heaven, seated in heaven right now (3:20; Ephesians 2:6).
* I am hidden with Christ in God (3:3).
* I am an expression of the life of Christ because He is my life (3:4).
* I am chosen of God, holy and dearly loved (3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4).
* I am a son of light and not of darkness (5:5).
* I am a holy partaker of a heavenly calling (3:1).
* I am a partaker of Christ; I share in His life (3:14).
* I am one of God’s living stones, being built up in Christ as a spiritual house (2:5).
* I am a member of a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession (2:9, 10).
* I am an alien and stranger to this world in which I temporarily live (2:11).
* I am an enemy of the devil (5:8).
* I am a child of God and I will resemble Christ when He returns (3:1, 2).
* I am born of God, and the evil one – the devil – cannot touch me (5:18).
SINCE I AM IN CHRIST, BY THE GRACE OF GOD …
* I have been justified – completely forgiven and made righteous (5:1).
* I died with Christ and died to the power of sin’s rule over my life (6:1-6).
* I am free forever from condemnation (8:1).
* I have been placed into Christ by God’s doing (1:30).
* I have received the Spirit of God into my life that I might know the things freely given to me by God (2:12).
* I have been given the mind of Christ (2:16).
* I have been bought with a price; I am not my own; I belong to God (6:19, 20).
* I have been established, anointed, and sealed by God in Christ, and I have been given the Holy Spirit as a pledge guaranteeing my inheritance to come (1:21; Ephensians 1:13, 14).
* Since I have died, I no longer live for myself, but for Christ (5:14, 15).
* I have been made righteous (5:21).
* I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. The life I am now living is Christ’s life (2:20).
* I have been blessed with every spiritual blessing (1:3).
* I was chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world to be holy, and I am without blame before Him (1:4).
* I was predestined – determined by God – to be adopted as God’s child (1:5).
* I have been redeemed and forgiven, and I am a recipient of His lavish grace (1:6–8).
* I have been made alive together with Christ (2:5).
* I have been raised up and seated with Christ in heaven (2:6).
* I have direct access to God through the Spirit (2:18).
* I may approach God with boldness, freedom, and confidence (3:12).
* I have been rescued from the domain of Satan’s rule and transferred to the kingdom of Christ (1:13).
* I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins. The debt against me has been cancelled (1:14).
* Christ Himself is in me (1:27).
* I am firmly rooted in Christ and am now being built up in Him (2:7).
* I have been made complete in Christ (2:10).
* I have been buried, raised, and made alive with Christ (2:12, 13).
* I died with Christ and I have been raised up with Christ, My life is now hidden with Christ in God. Christ is now my life (3:1–4).
* I have been given a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline (1:7).
* I have been saved and set apart according to God’s doing (1:9; Titus 3:5).
* Because I am sanctified and am one with the Sanctifier, He is not ashamed to call me His brother or sister (2:11).
* I have the right to come boldly before the throne of God to receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need (4:16).
* I have been give precious and magnificent promises by God, by which I am a partaker of God’s divine nature (1:4).
The above has been adapted from Neil T. Anderson, Victory Over the Darkness (Regal Books, 1990).